Monday 26 March 2012

AMES Footscray cartoons: C

Cartoons from the Australian Migrant Education Services (AMES) youth class at Footscray
The class had two cartoon workshops and they made cartoons about the themes, "Heartlands and Homelands", and "Hopes and Dreams for the Future".
This work will be exhibited at Gallery Sunshine Everywhere in Refugee Week.

 Above: When I was in Africa I thought Australia was hot and on the news I saw the bushfires. The first day I came to Australia, I thought Australia was hot. But it was cold and it was ten degrees. Inside the airport was warm but when I went outside and it was ten degrees I was shocked. I missed my brother and he was around the airport looking for me.   by Abdul Khadir
 Above: "The first time my brother and I went shopping in the city we crossed a traffic light when the light was red and the policeman fined us $150."
by Catin Sung
Above: Sketch for Bus story



Above: By Thuy
 Above: 'Houses in the morning, Houses at Night", by Phuc
I have drawn a house in the morning and at night. This is quite different from my country Vietnam. In the morning its so beautiful I think and lots of people around, but in the evening the people stay at home and it looks so quiet and boring. 
In Vietnam in the evening, the people hang out with each other, they go outside. They go to cafes, play games and walking around the parks and talking, doing exercises. But in Australia they just sit at home and wait for the sunrise.

Above: "I'm Lost", by Tam
The second day in Australia I went to school. When I wanted to come home I had to catch the 216 but when the 219 came, I got on. And then I see around is so different to my home and I thought, "I'm Lost!" I asked the driver. Lucky for me, he was Vietnamese and he helped me to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment